So those that know me know I like lists. Like I reeeeeally like lists. I like them the way people like Netflix. I pursue them the way some people scroll Instagram. I read and reread and order and reorder them. Honestly, I don’t know how people function without them.
My brain simply can’t hold all the stuff I need/want/probably shouldn’t do.
Arguably the mother of all lists is the BUCKET LIST. Like Google, it has even been “verbed.” But a bucket list is a problem for me because it indicates a plan to do things someday, preferably before you die. And who knows when that is, right?
So to create urgency in my life (because I obviously need more of that) I created a 40 Before 40 – The Mid-Age Bucket List! And I’m happy to report, it has given me a run for my money. I think about it a lot. A LOT. I frame vacations around it. And you’re more likely to get me to come socialize if it involves a 40-b4-40 item. It goes like this…
Friend “Wanna go to a movie?”
Me “I would but I’m already in my pajamas”
Friend “Wanna go to a trampoline gym?
Me “It’s 8am. On a Saturday. Buuuut… that’s on my 40-b4-40. Let me get my coat.”
It’s safe to say, the people in my life are tired of hearing about it. But you’re not, are you?!
So 2020 has 20 things left! Kitschy right?
- Publish book – Come hell or high water
- Sing karaoke – IN PUBLIC
See the Northern Lights– Iceland. Boom
- Do the splits
- Take Scottish dancing class – Seems random but I am Scottish, did Scottish dancing as a teenager (see how cool I was?) and am thoroughly obsessed with all things Scottish.
- Do 10 pull-ups
- Take a painting class
- Take a hip-hop/dance class – Maybe improve my Elaine-from-Seinfield moves. Maybe not.
Go tent camping Take a pottery class Buy a Motorhome –Her name is Nimble Ginsen Motorhome across the country– Went halfway and I’m calling it. Go to a horse ranch
- Organize/print digital photos – Honestly, this may be the hardest thing on this list.
Go whale watching Go to Iceland Try aerial yoga Try acro yoga
- Ride a skateboard – Friends are trying to talk me out of this due to potential physical injury to my middle-aged body.
Learn to ski– didn’t die
- Meet Tim Ferriss – Tim, if you’re out there, I’m a total fangirl and will likely have nothing intelligent to say due to nervous paralyzation.
- Do a handstand
- Get back to my college fluency in Spanish
- Remodel our home office
Go rock climbing– Indoor is ok. I’m not a snob or anything.
- Learn how to swim strokes – like real swimming, not bobbing and flapping
- Play the ukulele
Go to a poetry reading Read the Harry Potter books
- Organize travel memorabilia –
Burn music to hard drive
- Teach my kids to play chess
- Teach my son to read
Go to a trampoline gym Be vegan for a week Make a good (thai) curry
- Make a scrapbook for my husband’s last birthday – I’m such a giver.
- Take self-defense class
Get laser hair removal Ride a jet ski–
(TBH, I’ve never done the splits. I don’t even know if my body bends that way.)
P.S. Anyone out there doing this?
P.P.S. Still looking for the Tim Ferriss shout out.